Are you wondering if you should buy perfume as a gift for a close friend, family member, or loved one? The answer is yes!
With expert insights and strategies, this comprehensive guide will help you find the perfect fragrance for that special someone.
Discover why perfume is an excellent gift choice, explore personalized selection strategies, and delve into popular fragrance options. Whether it’s for a special occasion or simply because you care, find the perfect scent that reflects your loved one’s personality and style.
- Why You Should Consider Perfume as a Gift
- What Fragrances Do They Currently Enjoy?
- What Fragrance Family Do They Prefer?
- Consider Their Hobbies and Personality
- Include a Sample & Consider Discovery Sets
- Bestseller Suggestions
Why You Should Consider Perfume as a Gift
While buying a fragrance for someone might initially appear intimidating, there are many reasons why it is an excellent idea to give perfume as a gift. Perfume is a popular gift worldwide and a great way to show someone how much you care about them.
Personal and Thoughtful
Giving someone perfume as a gift shows that you care enough about them to notice the little details. It reflects a genuine understanding of their personality, preferences, and style.
A thoughtfully chosen fragrance is a gift that is unique, personal, and memorable. This personalized touch shows that you’ve taken the time and effort to choose something truly special for them.
Luxury and Elegance
A bottle of perfume makes for a luxurious and elegant gift. Most people don’t buy fragrances for themselves that often, making perfume a meaningful and memorable gift.
Perfume is an everyday indulgence that allows the recipient to experience a moment of luxury and self-care. Each time they wear the scent, it will remind them of your thoughtful gesture.
Throughout history, aromatic substances have been highly valued and given as precious gifts. The practice of giving perfume as a gift is centuries old, dating back to the Egyptian-Roman era.  In Ancient Rome, perfume was viewed as a symbol of wealth and power, making it a gift that signified not only respect but also deep affection and honor.
What Fragrances Do They Currently Enjoy?
Now is the time to do some detective work and find out what perfume the recipient usually wears. One approach is to casually compliment them on their fragrance and ask the name of it. Or, if you have mutual friends or family members, you can also ask around and see if anyone knows what perfume they regularly wear.
If you know the name of their favorite perfume, you might consider buying a nice gift set of the same fragrance. Another option is a related product like a matching fragrance body lotion or candle.
Many fragrances also have flankers, which are scents that are similar to the original but feature distinct variations, such as intensified or softened notes, seasonal adaptations, or unique twists. These flankers can offer a fresh experience to someone who already enjoys a particular fragrance. Some examples of flankers are Chanel Coco Mademoiselle Eau de Parfum Intense, which is a flanker of the original Coco Mademoiselle, and Versace Eros Flame, which is a flanker of the original Versace Eros.
In cases where you’re uncertain about their favorite fragrance or would like to give them something new to try, additional strategies come into play.
What Fragrance Family Do They Prefer?
Otherwise, try to picture how they like to smell. Do they enjoy floral, fresh citrus, or invigorating aquatic scents? Or do they prefer a richer woody fragrance, intense leather, or robust tobacco scents?
Once you figure out which family they prefer, you can narrow down your choices to perfumes that align with their scent preferences. You can use Fragrantica to search for perfumes by both fragrance families and specific notes.
Opting for a perfume within the same family and featuring similar notes as their current favorite will likely be a sure bet. However, if you find something that you feel they would love, but it isn’t within their current scent style, feel free to surprise them with something new! Most people enjoy experimenting with fragrances and enjoy having different scents for different occasions.
Consider Their Hobbies and Personality
When selecting a perfume as a gift, thinking about the person’s hobbies and personality can also help guide you toward the perfect fragrance. Take a moment to reflect on the recipient and their interests; it might seem a bit unconventional, but it can be surprisingly insightful.
Matching Scents with Hobbies
Does your recipient enjoy outdoor sports? A citrusy and fresh scent might be right up their alley. Or, do they have a green thumb and enjoy gardening? A floral or fresh green fragrance could be an excellent choice to align with their passion for blooms.
If you’re shopping for an avid reader, envision a warm and comforting fragrance that they can wear while curled up with their favorite book.
Consider Their Personality
Think about the recipient again and how you would describe them as a person. Are they bright, bubbly, and energetic? They may enjoy a fresh citrus or refreshing aquatic scent.
Are they on the quiet and mysterious side? They may prefer a more decadent amber scent.
Are they passionate about nature and environmentally conscious? In that case, exploring a woodsy scent from a clean brand might be a fitting choice.
Do they have a sweet tooth? Consider a gourmand fragrance, inspired by edible desserts, with notes such as vanilla, chocolate, honey, and caramel.
Include a Sample & Consider Discovery Sets
When opting for a perfume that might be new to the recipient, consider including a small 2 ml sample vial. These are often available for free at most stores, or you can buy them when shopping online. This allows them to test the fragrance before committing to the full-size bottle.
Alternatively, you can choose to buy a smaller travel-sized version of the fragrance rather than a full-sized bottle. This offers the flexibility to buy more than one option if many scents catch your attention.
If you are still having trouble deciding on a perfume, many brands also offer discovery sets of pre-packaged samples. This way your recipient can explore and enjoy many new scents, which fragrance-lovers always enjoy.
Check out our guide on buying perfume for more tips on buying perfume online and in person.
If you are still struggling to find the perfect fragrance for your loved one, you can always opt for a universally-pleasing bestseller.
Here are a few suggestions that are popular and enjoyed by many:
- Chanel Coco Mademoiselle – A timeless and elegant blend of citrus, rose, and patchouli, very versatile.
- Chanel Chance – An amber floral scent with a touch of jasmine and pink pepper, a Chanel classic.
- Chanel Chance Eau Tendre – A delicate light floral fruity scent with notes of grapefruit, quince, and jasmine, embodying soft femininity.
- Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue – A fresh and vibrant floral fruity scent reminiscent of the Mediterranean with notes of citrus, apple, jasmine, and white rose. Versatile, clean, and easy to wear.
- Lancôme Idôle – A sophisticated fruity floral fragrance with notes of pear, rose, and musk. Versatile and suitable for everyday wear.
- Giorgio Armani Ocean di Gioia – A refreshing floral aquatic fragrance that captures the essence of the ocean breeze with notes of marine accord, juicy pear, citrus, and jasmine. Clean and light, great for summer days.
- Aerin Amber Musk – A luxurious and inviting soft amber and cozy musk fragrance. With a touch of floral and wood, it’s an excellent choice for someone who enjoys a blend of sophistication and comfort. A lighter take on an amber fragrance.
- Philosophy Fresh Cream – A comforting and sweet fragrance reminiscent of vanilla and whipped cream, perfect for those who enjoy sweet scents.
- Bleu de Chanel – A refined woody aromatic fragrance with citrus, pink pepper, and light wood notes. Fresh, classy, versatile, and easy to wear on all occasions.
- Montblanc Explorer – A woody aromatic fragrance, masculine and strong. Versatile, good for office or school, with notes of bergamot, leather, and patchouli.
- Chanel Homme Sport Eau Extreme – A fresh and slightly sweet woody aromatic fragrance with notes of mandarin, mint, and tonka bean.
- Hermès H24: A contemporary and professional aromatic green fragrance that combines fresh and metallic notes with natural elements. Refreshing, clean, and office-safe.
- Giorgio Armani Acqua Di Gio: An aromatic aquatic scent with clean citrus notes. Timeless classic, easy-to-wear summer fragrance.
- Lacoste Eau de Lacoste L.12.12. White: A fresh and classic fragrance that combines citrus, woody, and floral notes for a versatile and modern scent. Clean, fresh, and versatile for any occasion.
Explore our in-depth guide on buying perfume for more valuable tips, whether you’re shopping for yourself or buying perfume as a gift.
Dive into our fragrance notes guide to enhance your understanding of fragrance families and notes.